View Single Post
Old 2012-12-26, 07:01   Link #158
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
No, he's a thug whose fancied up his motivation to kill people up with layers and layers of bullshit. Slicing up some innocent girls throat while spouting philosophical bullshit doesn't change what you're doing.
Oh, yes. He's a killer, but murder is just means to an end. Murder is murder, I can assure you. However, the fact remains that he doesn't engage in it for its own sake.

I can tell that the act of murdering a defenseless woman disgusts you, and I can relate to that. But setting him aside him as some desperate cutthroat is too grave an oversimplification of his character.

Quote:
You're seriously naive if you think something like Makishima wouldn't be just as motivated to kill if he lived in our present day society. Really. Is someone like Yuki or Rakako's classmates far enough removed from president day people to even in the slightest justify the notion to a non insane person that they're subhumans who can be casually killed for your amusement?
That's quite right. And here's we get into the meat of the matter: The world of Psycho-Pass is meant to be analogous to the world we live in right now. As such, Makishima's disgust towards that world also applies to the world we live in right now. Also, another misunderstanding of yours is the idea that Makishima kills for amusement. He doesn't. He does it to make a point.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't excuse him of his atrocities one bit, but let's just look at things as they are instead of blowing them out of proportion. Also, please note that I'm not trying to justify his actions (the notion of "justification" is subjective, and is hence pointless to discuss), I'm just giving you a small glimpse of his perspective as a character.

Quote:
WHY?!

Why is the opposite of slavish obedience to the Sybil system enabling fuckwit psychopaths to go on murder sprees? There is FAR more to human existence than murdering other people.
Oh, I'm sure there were probably more peaceful ways to make the same point. He probably just chose what he believed to be the quicker, more efficient way. As for the human lives it cost? He just didn't care. Everyone who died would probably amount to no more than collateral damage in his eyes.

But do take note there a difference between killing for the pleasure of it and killing because it's the more convenient thing to do.

Quote:
...and don't try to pull this "Oh it was Akane who was the one who was really responsible for getting Yuki killed" nonsense with me. Makishima grabbed Yuki after the *game* was over, handcuffed her to the railing, and slit her fucking throat. No matter what kinda of bullshit he tries to espouse to shift the blame onto someone for the crime of not being a ruthless as him, he's still the one that fucking did it.

And helping plus observing murderers commit crimes from afar is just as fucking bad as doing it yourself. A mob boss who outfits his soldiers to carry out assassinations is just as involved in what they do.
I'll admit that I forgot that Makishima killed Yuki when I made that comment, but my points remain unchanged. I'm still unconvinced that he has this compulsion to kill as you're suggesting. Murder is merely a tool and probably nothing more to him.

This entire comment of yours fails to take the notion of moral relativity into account. What you perceive as "bad" is not the same as what Makishima perceives as "bad". If you're unable to make sense of his actions, you have understand how he thinks first. You both have different notions of "morality" and humanity", so you should take that into account.

Once again, I'm not defending his actions. I just want to prevent him from being boxed into a narrow-minded interpretation of his character. Let's judge him as a character rather than as a person, shall we?