View Single Post
Old 2004-07-23, 03:57   Link #224
Sasu11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
I'm a cool girl actually. And nowhere in my post did I say One Piece is bad. One Piece is an animated series aimed at children. That doesn't make it a bad series. I read the One Piece manga and love it, but I'm not going to deny that the anime is a mainstream kiddie show. Its a GOOD mainstream, kiddie show, but some fans are trying to pretend that its not or they equate mainstream and childish with "bad".

Why deny One Piece's true nature? Naruto is also a mainstream kiddie show, but I love that too.
Sorry but you're wrong. Naruto and One Piece are aimed at teenagers and young adults, not children. They are both aired in prime time slots on Japanese TV. Im not saying kids dont watch them too, but their viewing audience goes way beyond kids.

I think what's really sad is that in the west 'cartoons' are only seen as kids shows. Perhaps part of the blame can attributed to the western licensees who cut and edit the shows to make them 'suitable for kids' and then play them in kids viewing slots. Then again maybe more young western adults need to look past their cultural conditioning and give animated television and movies a go. I think a great example of this the animated movie 'Spirited Away' which is the highest grossing movie in Japan ever, yet (as far a I am aware) was a big flop in the west. In this case the the western version of the movie was completely authentic to the orginal and not marketed at kids.