View Single Post
Old 2011-06-17, 11:07   Link #216
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
^they seem to have good odds, too. Two combat veterans + a capable cleric (+ my lasting suspicion that WN may be only vulnerable to magic attacks, unlike other witches).
I have yet to read the whole thing, but I agree two volumes were too short from the start. I understand that Aniplex might have been unsure of the project's success back then, so they didn't invest in long-running spin-offs... but come on, KAZUMI promises to be longer, for God's sake, and it has completely different cast!
Then again, now that Madoka is so popular... If the producers don't decide to milk the franchise, then they can hardly be called producers. What would we hope for?
- more possible mangas
- a movie/OVA adaptation, showcasing the full version of ep 10 (btw, Oriko proves there were more than four timelines).
- more drama CDs (after Sunny Day Life, I expect one more to go with BD Vol 5). I'd really like Mami and Kyouko's past to get more spotlight (tearjerking as it may WILL be).
- more... music? If Yuki Kajiura is not too busy with other projects at the time, why not ask her to write some themes based on Oriko Magica events (or other off-screen events), or a character song or two (she wrote a character song for Gundam Seed Destiny, so why not). Why should only shows like Lucky Star and Haruhi Suzumiya get a lot of CDs, when here you have popularity of the franchise AND a brilliant composer to boot?

As to the plot itself, not taking its rushed pace into account - it's about as good as it's capable to cause head-banging. I imagine this timeline alone could triple Homura's bitterness - she succeeds in keeping Kyuubey's paws off Madoka, only for our blissfully ignorant Madoka to be killed... BY A MAGICAL GIRL. Oh f.....
And you know what's the worst? Oriko had a point. From the informed reader's perspective, at least. We've already seen that Homura can't handle WN alone (and I'll bet my four limbs that Kyuubey ALWAYS has something to do with Madoka arriving to the scene, even if she had stayed uninvolved up to that point). But alright, we have Mami and Kyouko surviving, plus Yuma - a serious team, eh? Imagine they defeat WN... Now what? Even if Homura survives the fight, guarding Madoka will not end here, and this mission may well outlive Homura herself. Meanwhile, Kyuubey is ageless and I fail to believe he would EVER give up. Meaning it's most probably a matter of months/years before Gretchen's birth.

Seems like Urobuchi LOVES writing dubious villains. From a general perspective, Kyuubey is a helper to the universe and many civilizations inhabiting it (especially those whose prepubescent females don't have to serve as firewood). From the same perspective, Oriko is a saver of the Earth, a posthumous hero. But.... and after the word "but", one could write megabytes of text at will. We all get the point anyway.