View Single Post
Old 2009-01-24, 22:35   Link #1030
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Ep. 1 has tons of typos in it, and I think Ep. 2 is messy at points also. But don't worry, we're taking care of that in a future patch. (I've noted three things I previously missed in Ep. 3 as well, for the picky.)

I think (although I don't speak for the entire team, so this isn't an "official" statement) the original releases were geared a little more toward making the game playable for a Western audience than delivering a 100%-professional package. In any event, we'll be going back and polishing things up, so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

EDIT: I don't mean to downplay anyone's contributions toward the effort; it's just that there are at least two of us who are going to sweep through the first two games and fix the vast majority of the errors, so rest assured we're very conscious that they exist. Once you reach Ep. 3 you'll probably find that the writing has become a lot cleaner in that aspect.

By the way, I'm still wondering (and this question is posed to both audience and fellow staff), should Jessica's speech be tweaked to be more coarse (a little in the vein of Hideyoshi's, but not the same style)? It's personally been sticking in my mind that everyone notes Jessica's "bad" speech, but the translation itself doesn't reflect that.

The problems with doing so are twofold, I think: the coarseness of her speech is in a manner that doesn't translate well to English, and increased stylization increases the chances of misinterpreting Ryu07's intent. That is, the more we incorporate our own interpretation into the text, the more possibility there is that we miss the point, kind of like playing Telephone.

At the same time, I feel like there's a rather obvious incongruency involved, and while we're sweeping the old scripts, it seems that it's not a bad time to think about the issue.

Last edited by k//eternal; 2009-01-24 at 22:57.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote