View Single Post
Old 2012-07-22, 20:34   Link #347
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
(Boldface added for emphasis)

That's the thing that I first thought of when I first read that: did the BETA's creators deliberately insert that into their programming not primarily to prevent them from communicating with harvested victims species, but to prevent the BETA from ever staging a classic "robot rebellion" against them, so that the BETA could never rise above being biotech mining machines?
It's my belief that it's probably a whole less nefarious than that. The BETA's creators are silicon-based lifeforms, and throughout their expansion have only encountered non-Carbon-based lifeforms. In addition to the fact that their "machines" or what they consider machines are Carbon-based, it's a logical conclusion for a sentient being in their position to think that Carbon-based lifeforms are impossible. Going from their position, they probably never conceived of the possibility of Carbon-based lifeforms, just like some of us humans could never conceive of certain "realities".

This may even be true for the rest of the universe; the possibility of natural Carbon-based lifeforms may be seen by the BETA's creators to be infinitely insignificant and in numerous cases proven to be "impossible". However, no matter how "impossible" the odds, there is always a electron-sized possibility in a universe as large as ours. We may as well happen to be that possibility, that exception to the universal norm. So our world is REALLY special, Yay!
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote