View Single Post
Old 2008-01-08, 13:49   Link #48
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
Slice of life you are claiming someone can be a bad person on a daily base, yet suddenly, while he is 'on duty' doing office work, he is making saintly correct choices.
Actually, I'm not expecting any human being to make saintly correct choices, including saints. And especially not politicans.

Quote:
answer this question, if it doesn't matter, how many US presidents filed for divorce while still serving in office?
I've discussed the ability to do a political job. Not the ability to be elected to do one in general or in the US in particular. Nor do I want to discuss what US presidents were, did, or believed. (And I'm not sure if you want to.)

Quote:
Regardless of what this young generation of americans think it does not change the fact that most of the world regards divorce as a negative action.
I honestly have no idea what the majority of the world thinks on that issue, nor do I think that you have. I also don't care. If Sturgeon’s Law applies they probably have a few beliefs we both would find pretty disturbing. In any case, in most Western countries being divorced does not bar you from taking a political office.

Quote:
regardless of what you believe is right or wrong does not change the truth of what actually is right or wrong.
That's certainly true.

Quote:
There are millions of people and only one president. He is the embodiment of their beliefs and values. because of that he must uphold those beliefs and values to a certain extent.
This is quite a romantic view on how to organize a state. A person as embodiment of a nation's anything sounds a bit like an absolute monarch from the times when people (at least the monarchs themselves) still believed in absolute monarchs. Just an IMHO unlucky side-effect of the fact that the Americans had practically no other role models at that time to build a political philosophy of the role of the president on. Where people had to struggle to establish democratic control next to or against such monarchs, their views on their elected representatives were more earth-grounded right from the beginning. So if I might take a guess on the world's opinion, too: Most people don't consider their political leaders as embodiment of anything.

Quote:
and I don't think the french president is a bad person either
I haven't passed judgment on the French president. But I bet a lot of French people would beg to differ, albeit they might have different reasons.

Last edited by Slice of Life; 2008-01-08 at 14:05.
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote