View Single Post
Old 2006-05-03, 02:07   Link #18
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Intimidation (Ep. 03)

Oishi: "Hmm...aren't those guys..."

Kuma (Oishi's partner): "They were wearing those distinctive assemblymember pins on their collars"

Oishi: "So that means they're probably the Sonozakis from the Prefectural House and the City Government"

Kuma: "That's interesting. The same family have members in government positions at both the Prefectural and City level?"

Oishi: "Yeah, it's nepotism I tell you. They have the same surnames so they help each other out. While the other one is busy campaigning to get re-elected, the other sets up his speeches and lectures to tell the voters to vote for his kin. They're practically doing two election campaigns at the same time."

Kuma: "I'm no lawyer, but isn't that illegal?"

Oishi: "If it doesn't constitute as being a pre-election campaign, there's no defined limit to campaigning. ...Kuma-chan, if you don't start learning these rules, you're gonna have a tough time when you're called up to do duty at campaign headquarters. You should find time to learn the basics of campaign laws."

Kuma: "I know I'm stupid, so I'm not suited for investigating intellectual crimes. heh heh heh...!"

Those two were definitely the Prefectural House Representative Sonozaki and the City Assemblyman Sonozaki. And...I bet that other guy was Hinamizawa's village chief. ...hmph, all of them were people with connections to the Sonozaki family. This doesn't sound too good.

Kuma: "Whoa, it looks like the lieutenant chief and our section manager is trying to calm them down"

I realized it right then and there. I already figured what was going on when my section manager called me up asking me out to oden that evening.

Section Manager: "Oishi-san, you're a good investigator and have lots of friends. So you probably know it already?"

Oishi: "Know what?"

Section Manager: "Hey, can I order a piece of that ganmo and hanpen? ...sorry 'bout that. Anyway, assemblymen came today in a furor at the head chief today"

Oishi: "Oh really. I didn't know that. Excuse me? Can you give me another beer?"

Both Sonozaki Prefectural and City assemblymen are of the same type of person - raucous and intimidating. Geez, I feel sorry for that young and elite head chief. He must've been scared shitless being intimidated by two yakuza-like members with such power and influence in government.

SM: "They've directly pointed your name out in protest about your investigative tactics regarding the Hinamizawa incidents."

Oishi: "Me? Why I have no recollection..."

SM: "Hey, I'm not playing games. I know you're re-investigating those past Hinamizawa cases."

Oishi: "Where did you get that idea? Do you think I have time to that? I'm up to my neck in investigating the Tomitake murder."

SM: "Are you sure? Well, if you're really telling the truth, then that's fine..."

Silence ensues between us. We quietly continue eating oden and drinking beer.

Oishi: "Geez, thanks for dinner. To tell you the truth, I kept on losing this month so my wallet isn't fat these days."

SM: "Don't worry 'bout it. Hey, can you teach me horses again? I'll bet on the same ones as Oishi-san"

Oishi: "Nahahahaha! Nah, I'm getting rusty on that one too. Can't hear the horses' neighs these days! ....yo, taxi!!!"

I'm going home on a train. The section manger is the one that's going to need the taxi. Can't use my own car to get home today. I don't want my retirement pention to disappear by getting caught drunk driving, ya know? Although the manager can still talk clearly, you can tell that he's drunk by looking at how he's beginning to stoop waist down. I put him onto the taxi and tell the driver the address to his house.

Oishi: "Alright, good night! Have a nice year...!"

SM: "Oishi-san"

Oishi: "Yes?"

SM: "Those cases have been closed. Refrain from re-investigating them. The villagers are really beginning to believe that the curse is real."

Oishi: "Well, I don't believe in curses."

SM: "Oishi-san. You're retiring next year right? You've been saying that you are going to pay off your loans with the pension and move to Hokkaido with your mom."

Oishi: "Yes. She's been recently saying that she wants to return to her native Hokkaido. I want to make my mom's last wish come true. As for the pension...well I'll have a grand time at Susukino (a red light district in Hokkaido) Nahahahaha!"

SM: "The chief's saying that he's going to re-evaluate the practice of pre-retirement wage increases."

The retirement pensions for public workers are calculated by multiplying it with the pay rate at retirement. It is not uncommon for public workers in this region to be "specially promoted at two years' rate" right before retirement in order to get a larger pension. Obviously, that's not something to be proud of. But having and not having that "special promotion at two years' rate" makes a whole lot of difference in the amount of the retirement pension that you get.

Oishi: "By-the-book, eh? Sounds exactly what an intellectual and young career elite chief would think of. ...but if you think about that our salaries are coming from the taxpayers, I guess that makes sense. Guess it's the times, huh?"

Obviously, this isn't funny to me, but I'll put on a facade right now.

SM: "I don't think of it as being by-the-book. But, considering your contribution in service all these years, I believe that you deserve it."

Oishi: "Well I would be lying if I said I didn't want it. ...Nahahahaha!"

SM: "You'll get it. If you stay focused."

Oishi: "Oh, the driver! Hey sorry to keep you waiting huh? Take good care of him to his house."

I hurriedly slammed the car door shut to end this conversation. The section manager had a look on his face that he still had something to discuss, but he started to wave as I put on a smile. I waved back.

The taxi began to accelerate and disappeared into the night lights.

Oishi: "Nahahahaha! Damn. I wonder how I'm supposed to pay off my loans now..."

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-05-15 at 12:38.