View Single Post
Old 2012-02-19, 07:51   Link #28
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Just what kind of dojo does Karen go to? Is her master Roshi or what?

To think Koyomi stopped sparring with her because he was afraid he'd hurt her... he should have been more concerned with own safety. Well, it's kind of the story of his life. I know he didn't try to fight back seriously, but I'm not sure he could have even if he had wanted to. She was overwhelming.

Kaiki is exactly the kind of man I thought he was. It turns out he didn't even use a fake bee as I suspected, it was just hypnosis (which raises the question of how Koyomi was able to take half of Karen's fever when it was just the result of hypnosis; even Kaiki seemed stumped). Thinking back on it, on top of what he said about Karen having a good imagination, there were huge visual hints in that scene as well.

I love how quickly he gave up and pretended to repent when faced with the prospect of getting his ass kicked. I assume he couldn't take care of two people at the same time with his hypnosis, so he would have been punched, and as he already stated earlier, he hates that. It's amazing how straightforward he can be despite being a con artist.

I hope he'll come back soon. He's too awesome to be written out of the series like that. The same goes for Oshino.
Second degree blackbelt and when we saw her walking on her hands it was supposed to be a foreshadow of her knowledge in Capoeira.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
"Yuri shimai", . Someone give me some background here, why exactly were Karen and Tsukihi sleeping naked together?

Subs for this episode were downright terrible...I could barely follow the dramatic development throughout the Kaiki confrontation scene using Crunchyroll's translation, making the scene feel overacted and anticlimactic, but while Commie's adjustments offered a degree of enlightenment in some slight instances, I must've counted at least a dozen important lines which were blatantly and obviously wrong.

I don't have the resources to attempt a full translation myself but I might give a go later on at piecing together a script which preserves the dramatic pacing of the dialogue in that scene myself.

There's a lot that looks wrong to me with those scenarios you're tossing out, so here's a reconstruction of the events as far as I remember them. Corrections from someone with more accurate knowledge of the series would be appreciated.

- Hitagi got sick (the flashback material from this episode seem to remind me that it was some sort of congenital disease which would cause rotting limbs)
- her mother became involved with shady religious cults believing that they could save her, or at least give her some faith/comfort about the world
- Hitagi was saved, but her mother remained involved with the cult
- one day, one of the cult leaders convinced Hitagi's mother to allow him to rape her (Hitagi)
- Hitagi resisted, jeopardizing her mother's relationship with the cult, and also creating cracks in her relationship with her mother herself.
- Avoiding her problems with her mother, Hitagi became possessed by the "weight" crab
- In order to cure Hitagi of her new condition, her parents hired a number of exorcists
- Kaiki was the first; he saw the cracks in the family's relationships, and exacerbated them so that he could extort them (namely, Hitagi's father) for more money.
- Hitagi's father and mother divorced after Kaiki
- Hitagi's father was conned by four further "exorcists" afterwards trying to find a cure to Hitagi's condition, resulting in the destitution of Hitagi's household now.
You got one point wrong but that would be a spoiler so if anyone wants to know what it is then it'll have to be in the light novel thread.

Also I don't think Crunchyroll's translations for this episode was that bad. I mean I would have prefer if they gave the audience more credit and wrote out the period names in Japanese rather than just saying 15th or 18th century. Other than that I thought they got the feel and words right.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-02-19 at 11:10. Reason: Please edit your post and refrain from double posting...
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote