View Single Post
Old 2008-03-15, 23:57   Link #958
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Partial, but not a total excuse. She spends a lot of time on Earth until she's 15, so she still has that link to Terran culture and zeitgeist until at least then.

Quite frankly, if I'm an paramilitary officer, I'll be very interested in what other nations' militaries and police think about military and police matters. The Americans study Soviet military thought, and in fact incorporated some ideas when they scribbled up AirLand battle. The Soviets analyzed the West and still do as they attempt to solve the problem of professionalizing in a way acceptable to their very different military culture. And the idea of us being primitive societies thus unworthy of study doesn't work - we are still studying Sun Tzu ourselves. And so on.
I just want to adress this while posting on the run: Your point above indicates an expectation of a level of professionalism and competance at odds with your position of the TSAB being insular idiots.

Besides, remember that at their core the TSAB, sadly, are essentially magical riot cops and SWAT. It's very likey there is a school of thought that goes "Why bother study this military crap, it has no relevance to anything we do!"

I am aware that is a stupid paradigm, but it does jive with the whole "TSAB are idiots" school of thought which ark and TK subscribe to. Y'all don't know how many times I have been told by companies that Leadership Skills training is irrelevant and has nothing to do at all with their companies. *sighs*

Also, consider that she may well consider, "Eh, I'm in the TSAB, what does this have to do with me? I won't bother." There's precedent for this: Hayate has been shown in the manga refusing to work on taking care of herself in a close-range fight because as she puts it, she's artillery, why does she need to worry about close range? (Paraphrased. Nevermind that in real armies arty gun crews DO train for when the OMGWTF threat suddenly appears. Mulcahy v Ministry of Defence, British Army gun crew in Gulf War 1 blasted a T-72 at point-blank range (for arty, anyway.))

Also, considering that the manga implies that her life in teh TSAB was really hectic, she may well have decided that Earth = Home = Don't Think About Work. And realistically... if she's going to school, regularly running missions, and juggling homework, it'd be hard to look up and research all these things. I can do it because I spent a year plus skipping classes and reading up on stuff. Ironically now that I'm taking a break from college and working, I don't have much time to read up on these things either.

Hayate's failings as a commanding officer are partly her, and also partly because of the institution which trained her. And since it's mentioned that she apprenticed under Genya, he shares some of the blame as well.

One more thing to consider: The US viewed the Soviets as their main threat when they wrote up AirLand Battle (which was later scrubbed for Network-Centric Warfare), and Gen. Petraus lead the school of thought that counterinsurgency is a main threat, forming the impetuous behind FM-23, the US Army counterinsurgency field manual. In both cases, there is a visible threat which US planners planned against.

We have no indications of the TSAB facing an outward threat that would require the sort of planning, wargaming and study that lead to AirLand Battle and FM-23. To be fair, it's possible that the TSAB may have done this, concluded that their main focus should be on constabulary and stabilisation operations, and thus they're geared to that, much as how the US Army has concluded that COIN ops should now be a focus of the Army, resulting in Army-wide dessimation of FM-23.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-03-16 at 01:29.