Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-11-02, 18:59   Link #2253
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I don't really like mecha, but I love Evangelion. I don't really like space opera, but I love Crest of the Stars. I don't really like harem, but I love Love Hina. I don't really like mystery, but I love Higurashi. I don't really like mahou shoujo/shounen, but I love Negima. I don't really like yuri, but I love Simoun.
Well, you know what they say about the exceptions that confirm the rule. Seriously, most people are likely to like at least a handful of titles outside of the genres that interest them but the problem is actually checking out such shows in the first place. Since you mentioned about Kanon - agaisnt my better judgement, I tried watching one episode, did not like it and stopped right there. If it was let's say a mystery/thriller I would have probably tried watching another episode, since it's a conversion from ero-game with a lot of moe characters I am extremely reluctant to do so. Unless one knows reviewers or has friends whose tastes he knows he can trust, I think it's hard to find a incentive to try something new and different, let alone something that seems to be from a category/genre that one dislikes. For instance why should someone for whom anime basically means shounen with a lot of action bother to watch anything that does not have these elements? So what I am trying to say that sticking to one or few genres is not necessarily a bad thing, it just reflects what the person in question is looking for and how much effort he is prepared to make in order to find it.

Quote:
Personally, I like shows for their characters, not their genres.
Interesting. These days I find that characters really make or break shows for me. I need to have at least one characters whom I can symphatise with and care about, even a little. Also, shows with great characters seem to have a greater replay value than those with great plot but not so interesting characters. For instance the interaction between the Simoun characters makes the beautiful battles and the main storyline about the war pale in comparison. I think I would have certainly liked Simoun if it was all about the battles and the twists and turns of the war and not so heavily focused on character development but I doubt I would have loved it if the characters were mediocre or even interesting but not properly developed.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote