View Single Post
Old 2008-06-10, 14:13   Link #1109
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Jumping on Hayate just because we saw her fire Hraesvelgr once is a bad conclusion. Besides, she was S-rank at the time, so in my case, I'd say that high-ranking Mid mages (say, AAA or higher?) should be able to emulate most of the things an AC-130 can do. Mid mages specialize in long-range and wide-area attacks after all.
Hayate behaves more like a flying MLRS than an AC-130.

I'm not jumping on her per-se. She specializes in wide area devastation attacks, we know that.

But she SAID herself that her accuracy isn't too good. (She's clumsy with ranged shots.) And that's at a standstill.

Neither of these are good in an urban combat area where one needs careful precision firepower. For the most part, almost all the combat in strikers took place in an abandoned city, where the only friendly fire concerns were other mages who could clear the area.

Transpose the canon shooting pair to some place that's very busy. Instead of Fate jumping them at close range and spooking them.... have someone stand off at three miles and pick them off with a rooftop smashing attack, while still on the move, perhaps circling. Even then, I don't see a mage managing that kind of firing pattern. Concentraiting on a target area several miles away while circling at high alltitude is a bit of a split in concentration.

(While hovering in one place does make a more stable firing platform, I don't see it as a good idea for a mage to sit in one spot taking 'potshots', especially when you're busy looking at an FOV the size of a pen-cap. But then, I don't see mages able to focus on long range targets while skeetering around in the sky at high speed usually wanting either out of necessity or instinct, to watch where they're going.)

On top of this, I just don't see the group of Aces we know utilizing a tactic that conflicts with their natural tendancies this much. Put it one way, Tiana should have been acting as the Forward Observer for either Hayate, or Nanoha, who would fire from way beyond even scope ranges and with her guidance, pluck a target off before it even knew it was under attack. But that never happened.
(There are a lot of shoulds, that weren't. But that's neither here nor there.)

Either way, Hayate's no AC-130 in performance.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote