View Single Post
Old 2007-07-28, 03:53   Link #42
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

But that's what I don't get. Why is it in her best interest if there is no morality? If there is only what is, then there are no states in which there is a better or worse. So there's no basis for calling Jean's act of perseverance idiotic.

Also, I think what you may be referring to are "facts". Truth and falsehood does not depend upon human concensus. The way in which we discern between the two are limited by our state and quality of knowing at any given point. How much information we have and to the extent our inductive and deductive faculties are in working order determine whether our conclusions about particular events conform to truth or not. But our inability to make that discernment has bearing only upon the effectiveness of our fact finding, and none at all upon what is actually true and false.

Absolute morality fits in the same category. Though I'll be using points made by someone else, I'll compare and contrast the moral values between different societies to show that they are not so entirely different. One country may make use of a turn coat in times of war and not another, but both regard him as vermin. We can find no nation or kingdom that will reward treacherous efforts. One group may approve of multiple wives where as another upholds only one. But both affirm a social structure wherein men and women have specific familial roles. One society upholds that government must have a limited function and leave individual citizens to its own power to conduct his own affairs. Another believes that goverment should exert its force to ensure fair, equal treatment of all its citizens. But both agree that government's chief purpose is to serve the welfare of its people. In spite of the differences, where they share things in common are even more profound. Culture will lend to divergences, but these differences are less significant.

Last edited by khryoleoz; 2007-07-28 at 04:34.