View Single Post
Old 2011-06-06, 12:13   Link #90
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The fundamental problem being described here, seems to me, is a general lack of continuity between episodes. The stylistic inconsistencies have been pointed out at length, but this ep highlighted the inconsistencies of the characters behavior. When folks complain of "no character development" this is what I think is really meant.

The gist of it is, the characters' state of mind and behavior is whatever it needs to be to make the events of the episode make sense. That's what I referred to when I spoke of manipulation for dramatic expediency, and I agree it's a legit issue. Some individual eps are very good, but in order for this to be an elite series in my view it would need to do a much better job making them flow into each other believably and logically. Right now it feels to me like there's no real plan - we've just had ten scripts with the same characters and setting, ten one-act plays if you like. It doesn't feel like a cohesive narrative, as you have with some Okada works like TT and AnoHana.
Thanks for cohesively describing what I been trying to get at. I'm a failure of a writer.