View Single Post
Old 2010-10-23, 00:37   Link #809
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But I'm not seeing anything specifically shoujo here, although there are emotions and romance and good-looking boys. The stylishness of the hero may seem "gay" to people locked into current American culture, but just remember that the most masculine people of many past ages were stylish posers like this -- e.g., 17th-18th century swordsmen.
The creators are amping up the goofiness of the characters in Zero Time on purpose. I think that it might be a play on the normal way mecha action and characters are portrayed. The costumes and poses (and Kiraboshi!) suggest that the creators hope that the audience takes the action as far less than serious. As it stands, the transformations are only unusual because the subject is a guy (and a robot). If it were a girl like Sailor Moon, nobody would bat an eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Sort of agree, but mostly regarding episode 3. I was kind of dying inside during the scenes at the pool with the little animal mascot thing making it's annoying noises and Ms. Watanabe droning on and on in that one tone voice. The zero time scenes are kind of what makes the show for me so I'm kind of hoping they focus more on them in coming episode.

Also less Ms. Watanabe and more other characters PLEASE?!
So far, Kanako and Head's characters have been less interesting than they could be because the creators seem to be going for the cryptic villain label for them. That can sometimes work, but the characters aren't given anybody to really interact with, and so they're left to basically monologue when they're not in the Kiraboshi meetings. Moreover, the scenes outside of Zero Time and the Kiraboshi meetings have been really quite straightforward and ordinary so far. If this is the kind of show I think it is, I'd expect a lot more surrealism and risk-taking in the coming episodes. If this involves the other characters more, then all the better.