View Single Post
Old 2013-07-10, 10:31   Link #1062
J the Drafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Kesuke View Post
The only question i have here is ; who gave Reiner etc. the intel about when to move ? None a them were close to Grisha so they couldn't possibly know about the "secret" nor the serum .. So who ordered them to move at that time ?
The first possibility is the simplest. At some point before the attack, the Recon Corps (or, just possibly, other explorers) stumbled across something that held the key to understanding the titans. Titan-Town witnessed the Recon Corps make this discovery and felt threatened by that fact for some reason.

The second possibility is a spy or traitor (or multiples thereof) amongst the decision-makers or scientists of Walled Humanity. Annie has shown she can scale the walls in titan form, so getting agents inside is doable. Once inside they'd split up to avoid suspicion. The difficulty of temporarily passing oneself off as a wanderer would depend on the rigor of the census counts humanity employs, but it may be doable. Creating a cover that let someone spy on Walled Humanity's scientists, military officers, and governors would be harder, but that is doable as well (assuming that the census records haven't managed to do the spies in). The spies would need to get hired as servants to some decently ranked officials. Finally, we come to communication, which would require some of the infiltrators to act as go-betweens instead of doing spywork. (The go-betweens would need the freedom to shuttle messages back and forth, and so couldn't afford to be tied down with a job that let them snoop.) We're talking a good deal of time to set up and a slow system of communication, and that's not even getting into the motive Titan-Town would have for sending a spy in the first place. A native turncoat to Walled Humanity would require far less maneuvering, but as of yet we have no indication as to what motive such a turncoat would have, or how Titan-Town and this turncoat would open lines of communication.

There is also the chance that the attack really was just a coincidence. It's tempting to link Grisha's revelation and the Colassal Titan/Armored Titan one-two punch together, and fiction seems to hate the idea of coincidences, but there doesn't seem to be any proof of the idea that Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt knew that the secret of the titans had been uncovered.

The first possibility, that the Recon Corps discovered something, seems to be the most likely. Spies or traitors would suffer from slow communication, would take a great deal of time and effort to either contact or put in place, and have no reason to even exist as far we can see at this point. Coincidence is certainly possible, but fiction tends to hate coincidence and it does seem a bit odd to think that two landmark events of that century (finding out the truth about the titans and the wall being broken) have nothing to do with wach other.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote