View Single Post
Old 2009-09-11, 05:47   Link #111
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
You'd be surprised. I can assure you from my experience in militia units that years of service and age will amount a lot when it comes to the respect you'll get from others, whether you hold rank or not. A young 20 years old Lt fresh out of school can't yell at a 30 years old private 2nd class with kids and a good civilian job and expect any other reaction than "piss off". Works both ways too. Having soldiers ten years younger under your command is twice face-palm worthy (the first time when you realise their age, the second when they prove why age does matter).

But I digress. That's RL stuff of course. We're speaking about anime here, where age matters in reverse. The younger the better.
Besides it's absurd to talk about military in a VC anime thread.
It depends a lot on how the young officer is capable to see his rights, his duty and his responsibilities as a superior. Most of the young guns only see their rights but don't see that with this "gift" they also have responsibilities and duties.

If we take Largo as an example as one of the elder Squad 7 members. It took Welkin an unorthodox method to convince him and make him accept as Squad leader.

We have something similiar here in Germany where you join with a Sergeants or officers rank (their age are between 18 and 26) and you mostly have to work hard to gain full respect or acceptance of your elder comrades.