View Single Post
Old 2012-01-28, 23:02   Link #27368
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Battler was deceived, but it is arguable whether Beatrice was the one actually trying to deceive him (she was also constrained by rules imposed upon her, remember) and to what extent he was deceiving himself.

You're also incapable of grasping the moral difference between Beatrice doing something uncomfortable for Battler and for herself for a reason she believed to be important
Uncomfortable? He thought his relatives were being killed over and over! Have you ever tried the pain of losing someone you love? If this is just uncomfortable for you...
... it's too bad it wasn't just 'uncomfortable' for me.
Sure, it's very acceptable if Beato had the important reason of having herself being understood making him believe the people he loved were being killed. After all it was only 'uncomfortable' for Battler.

Quote:
and every single other Meta-Character doing something cruel and arbitrary to Erika for no reason whatsoever.
Battler had a reason. He needed his game to be played. Why is it acceptable for you that Beato tricks Battler because she wants to be understood but not that Battler tricks Erika because he wants to show to Beato he understood her?

Quote:
By ep5 and ep6, however, Battler and Beatrice are in some sort of position to now participate in this higher-order restriction imposition, or at least to comment on it to Erika, and per this theory it is evident that they never actually do.
Sure, let's tell the one who declared herself an intellectual rapist the truth... Truth which I doubt Battler knew in EP 5 as he realized only at the end how the narrative might have been subjective and that Beato couldn't surely tell her as her meta part was reduced to a doll and her piece part was fighting for her life against Erika.
Surely Erika wouldn't use the info to get the victory her master wants which is this by the way:
Quote:
The victory you did want had Beato's game board being torn to bits and Beato's true, pathetic form exposed, humiliated, and trampled on.
Erika's a piece who can't disobey her master's order but she'll make a miracle just this time.

Oh no, let's tell her the truth in EP 6.
Battler will lose the game but since he's playing it with a meaningless goal why should he care?

Sorry, I really can't agree with you.

First, because I find that's morally wrong to put someone else under mind torture for personal reasons. Beato isn't more excusable than Battler.

Second, because you're basically saying that if Battler wanted to do the moral thing he should have basically let Erika win, making pointless to start the game in the first place and let fall apart the illusion of the witch Battler is trying to protect.
If you were in his shoes would you really sacrifice Beato to save Erika?
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote