View Single Post
Old 2009-01-10, 16:40   Link #3
Ehko
its a boy :o

Thumbs up

I should have said "the" admin rather than "an" admin, but aside from that

I left out the part about modem users intentionally, but since you've brought them up, I was going to say the disable images and the disable signature feature was created for them and that reason. As for affecting the site's loading time, the graphics are being hosted on seperate servers (in common case, imageshack or photobucket for instance). Thus it is not your site becoming any slower or faster, it is the single page's loading speed being reduced by requesting data from other computers.

As I was saying about the graphics subforum (rather, the Fan Creations subforum to be correct), I don't understand the reason of having one and limiting it. If you were to say, "this isn't a graphics forum, go elsewhere for such a place" then there would be no point in having such a subforum in the first place.

If I had a choice, I would suggest between 70 - 100k. Anywhere in that range seems reasonable to me (90 - 100k being rather large for a limit). Extending the limit widens the color range and uses of depth and focus available in graphics created by users as file compression abides by those details and creates a filesize after preserving them into a file. (If I must, I am ready to prove this with examples) Animations abide by the same rules only they include frames in addition.

If you want a balancing reasoning (not quite as strong, but at least an attempt), your mods wouldn't have to look so hard as to find people breaking the current limit by 8 pixels and 16k, which to many normal users was probably even unnoticeable (probably even to the few modern day modem users). I myself am the example being used here of when I placed an average sig in as this forum's signature.

On the note of the code feature bug, a bug is an admin's responsibility, so I'll leave it up to you guys how you handle it, but I will just add that being unable to use such a feature is rather troublesome when speaking over a form of communication that works better when each user understands how to use that communication.
Ehko is offline   Reply With Quote