View Single Post
Old 2011-10-07, 12:28   Link #30
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
9/10 for this episode.

The plot has become a little bit confusing in this anime, but the artwork, animation, style, characterization, drama, suspense, bgm, etc... was all excellent in this episode.

I also have to agree with Kazu-kun on Ringo. She took a major step forward this episode, and her character is more likable for it, imo.

I also think that Ringo's character ironically became more important in this episode in spite of the fact that she hasn't been a focal point for awhile now.

Prior to this episode, I wasn't sure where Ringo fitted into the overarching conflicts of this anime. She seemed to be off pursuing her yandere destiny while the other three major protagonists were the only ones directly involved in the main overarching conflicts of the anime.

But I think that's changed now, and I also get a sense that Ringo is being developed as the antithesis to Kanba.

This anime talks a lot about fate. It primarily does that through two characters: Kanba (who hates it) and Ringo (who loves it).

I think that the theme of this anime will likely come back to the concept of fate.

In Kanba, we see someone who fights against it, and who refuses to succumb to it.

In Ringo, we see someone who adores it, and seeks to force it.

But Ringo has changed a bit here. Ringo has taken on the approach that there are things in life that can't be preserved forever (much as Tabuki said to her), and hence it's best to accept that and make the most out of what you have in the here and now. I had initially thought that Ringo's belief in destiny/fate would be crushed by her not fulfilling her goal to become Momoko, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. Ringo appears to be adapting remarkably well.

Now... Is this anime saying that Himari's life can't be preserved forever (just like Ringo can't preserve or 'bring back' the exact sort of family life she once had), and that Kanba's struggles to keep her alive by any means necessary are misplaced? Is it saying that Kanba should be more like Ringo, accepting of 'fate' and what it means at a practical level?

I would find that interesting given how many viewers have thus far suspected that this anime is attempting to subvert the concept of fate.

In any event, Kanba and Ringo have been setup as philosophical rivals, although neither is aware of it. It'll be interesting to see if they ever come to direct conflict due to that.

Ultimately, the anime will either agree with Kanba's perspective, or agree with Ringo's perspective, or land on some sort of synthesis between the thesis and antithesis.

All of this will likely be tied to the results of the experiment of sorts that Sanetoshi is running.

Thematically strong episode, as difficult as it can be too see where the plot is going next.