View Single Post
Old 2011-10-07, 17:17   Link #35
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

My take on Ringo and the twins vis à vis fate:

Kanba is angry, defiant and a schemer – he wants to find a way to beat the system and refuses to accept the (seemingly) obvious truth about his parents. Ringo embraces fate, or pretends to – first as regards becoming Momoka, then in terms of meeting Shouma. When I say she’s kidding herself I mean she clearly needs to believe things happen for a reason or else her head just can’t process reality. And Shouma seems to be something of a fatalist, with a hint of self-loathing. He sees the dark side of things, embraces not just his parents’ guilt but his own complicity in it just by nature of his birth, and assumes that the terrible events in his life are a result of divine punishment and things will only get worse.

Ringo's POV is needed as a point in the triangle with the brothers, which is interesting because in theory, Himari should be the third point. But she’s still more a plot device than a character, someone who acts as a catalyst for events in the lives of Ringo and the boys but doesn’t actively participate or display a distinct perspective very often. Given all the speculation that the sibling relationships in this series may not be all they seem, I wonder if there might be something even deeper here that we’re not privy to yet.