View Single Post
Old 2004-10-08, 12:53   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Right now I really don't want to mess with the current scripts because ALL of them need a
highly-over-due (sp?) rewrite. In other words: if I change them, I'll rewrite them from scratch.

A better solution for the problem you mention would be to support RSS v2.0, which allows
for a an enclosure tag, which is pretty much ideal for this purpose -- normal RSS readers
should still forward visitors to the main sites (as the owners of those sites and fansub groups want)
and specific applications like auto-downloaders can get the enclosure tag for the direct link.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rs...mentOfLtitemgt

Now in the past few months I've been lazy, busy with other things (see signature) and recently
I've also started a study, which is also taking it's time. All and all, unfortunately plenty of "lame"
reasons I can't promise ANY updates/rewrites to scripts yet. I've been wanting to, just no time.
(or time spend "incorrectly", like lazying about and/or watching anime)

Update:
Done some reading: I just don't hope there are RSS readers in use that do support
the enclosure tag and will automatically download all "attachments". Because that would
cause insane bandwidth usage for the torrent sites. In other words: above text is just a theory,
it's not been tested yet...

Update 2:
Never mind (probably)... I just found a RSS feed that does exactly what I described:
torrent files in enclosure tags. So should work without problems. And alternatively
I could always make it optional, so that you need to use an URL like this: rss.php?enclosure=1
(I can't post the RSS feed link here btw, as it contained DVD rips and such...)

Last edited by GHDpro; 2004-10-08 at 13:10.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote