View Single Post
Old 2010-02-21, 11:09   Link #36
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Bakemonogatari was done by Shaft, which is probably best known for the various Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and EF series. They're currently adapting naked loli vampire manga Dance in the Vampire Bund.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I became pretty interested in the business side of anime when I read at a few places about how the anime industry as a whole is, well, kind of suffering right now.

Actually, here's one area where I will give Kyoto Animation full kudos; they make more money for each anime produced than any other animation studio out there. There's a lot to be learned, business-wise, from KyoAni's approach.

KyoAni is great at promotions, that's for sure, lol.

SHAFT made Bakemonogatari, by the way.

If you liked that, you might like Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
Oh! Thanks for the information on Bakemonogatari. Definitely will check out SHAFT's other works

I got interested in the anime industry itself after reading that it's actually not doing so well right now. It shocked me because I have hardcore anime fans as friends around me, and hang out with a bunch of anime fans from all over my country. I thought that the anime industry is booming. As it turns out, Japan don't typically accept anime as readily as other medias. Despite my poor business mind, I really would like to find out what's making the industry suffer, even with all the sales from merchandise and widespread coverage all over the world.

I haven't been getting into the studios, instead focusing on the storylines and more importantly for me, the seiyuus. They play a big part in deciding what I watch because their voices are what I recognize when I re-entered the world of anime, so I follow Haruhi's seiyuus pretty closely (Lucky Star for the cast, and as a result, Bakemonogatari for Aya Hirano and Emiri Kato, Fairy Tail for Aya Hirano, Chu-Bra!! for Minorin, Azumanga Daioh for Yuki Matsuoka). As such, I think KyoAni did a brilliant move in keeping the seiyuus in the limelight. It's much more easier to create fans that way. Honestly, I still do not know the big names in animation studios. My knowledge is limited to KyoAni, and SHAFT (thanks again guys), and I'm not even sure if SHAFT can be considered a big time animation studio.

Anyway I think I have gone off-topic and went into the anime industry instead of the Haruhi franchise, so I'll try to steer things back a little.

In my opinion, the Haruhi franchise will definitely continue. However, as I learned that KyoAni will be going on with Season 2 of K-On!, it seems that the Disappearance movie will be the last of Haruhi we'll be seeing for a long, long time. They'll also try to milk the interest and discussion of the movie to the very last drop, so they can concentrate on other projects while keeping interest in Haruhi alive. The release of Vol. 10 will help tide fans over until they start re-animating Haruhi, and I'm pretty sure KyoAni is relieved and happy that Tanigawa finally is releasing his novel. Saves KyoAni the effort in coming up with more viral marketing.