View Single Post
Old 2008-08-18, 07:55   Link #43
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I treat the movies as pretty slideshows and snippets from the books; in that view, they're always fun enough to watch. None of the Harry Potter movies ever strike me as the award-winning type though. They just aren't good enough stand-alone.

Mine is roughly the opposite, and I disagree: the franchise has been a phenomenon since the first book...because of the first book, that one with the least (nonexistent?) teen drama, you know.

The second and third also have a rather low to nonexistent quota of Harry Creek, and they continued the boom, so I really don't think your statement holds up.
But what teen drama can you stick in at age 11, they're not even teenagers (officially) until age 13 (third book)
And by age 16, in a mixed private school, are you seriously telling me that in everyday life there aren't boys and girls with various crushes and wanting their first kisses in your school? (or anyone else’s)

Yes there's a big bad after the entire wizarding community, but alike the threats of terrorism, or minor ones of muggings, murders, rapes (and a million other things)
That doesn't mean we stop going out to the streets, does it?
That doesn't mean we stop our lives regardless of all the badness, does it?

It's the same perspective in that, the kids still had to do their exams, still had to attend classes, they kept as many events running as normal (that included the ball in the 5th one) and Americans probably know this better than us, but ideally it'll be nice to go with someone to the Prom than go alone.
Also by age 15/16, I'm sure regardless of life, many teens will have crushes or an eye on someone they like, or other emotional hang ups. The most heard complaint that we got about book 5 in the UK when it came out was
'man... harry is really moody now'
(Me: well yeah... he's 15, he only has to defend his life every year, he aparently as a kid got rid of the big bad as a baby and has this weird reputation and expentance to somehow foil Voldermort again, can't put smiles on anyone's face if they had to deal with that.)

The teen drama is an element I (personally) saw Rowling incorporate into her stories as a nice dimension to remind us that, yes they know magic and aren't 'muggles' per se, but they're all still humans and very much teenagers, with the same set of hormones as the rest of us.
So I'm glad she brought it, like i said, I’m surprised nothing much happened before it seeing as they're British kids xD

As for further reasoning into why Warner decided to push until July:
Quote:
Warner executives said the date change was a business decision and not due to any production delays on "Half-Blood Prince." A recent Writers Guild of America strike had delayed production on some films, leaving a lighter lineup during 2009's busy summer season, Fellman said.
The July 17 release — the same weekend Warner Bros. debuted its blockbuster "The Dark Knight" this summer — offered better box-office potential for "Half-Blood Prince," Fellman said.
The change left a hole in Hollywood's overall schedule for Nov. 21, the week before Thanksgiving, one of the busiest weekends for theaters.
But fantasy fans will not have to do without: A day after "Half-Blood Prince" moved out, Summit Entertainment's vampire romance "Twilight," based on another best-selling series of books, moved in, switched from its scheduled Dec. 12 release to Nov. 21
Rest of article is here

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote