View Single Post
Old 2012-09-23, 12:40   Link #397
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I can't hate a series. Because hating a series is utterly moronic.

If you don't like a series, then DISINTEREST takes care of the rest.
There are hundreds, thousands of things I find boring. I don't hate them, because due to having no interest in them, I don't read/watch/listen to them.

Disinterest shouldn't produce a strong emtion in people like hatred.

It would have to be a very isolated, special case for something like that to happen.
Like a hit song that's utterly annoying to you, but gets played all the time, forcing you to listen to it
There was only one anime franchise that I came as close to actually hating as possible and that was probably Lucky Star, where apparently not liking it and saying as much wasn't good enough, I HAD to love it because according to it's fans it was an objective comedic masterpiece so I had it crammed down my throat for about 4 months and took my frustration out by giving it a runaround blogging job. In retrospect it was a childish thing to do, but at the time it was airing it felt like about the only way to stay sane and true to my tastes and convictions and get across what I was trying to get across that it IS possible to be underwhelmed by something even if it's coming from an animation studio at the absolute pinnacle of it's popularity.

These days I spend a lot of my time trying to explain this very simple concept of hate solves nothing and just makes more people miserable in the long run to the Gundam fanbase, but I've basically given that one up as a lost cause that will have to right itself on it's own or bring the whole thing down into an eternal pile of misery and bitterness towards that which ought to be a source of entertainment. There's only so many attempts and angles you can take something like that from before you just start to look like a preacher and it becomes clear that that's just what people want to do.

Anyway depending on the week and the focus of the episode, this season it's been the duo of Sword Art Online and Accel World. The former got caught up in this massive hype bubble that has seen it see-saw between either the greatest thing ever or a brutal disappointment and sign of anime's decline from week to week, and the latter has had about the most butthurt I've seen over a character design possibly ever that had been following it almost the whole way though and used as IMO a cheap tool with which to criticize the series over. I'm honestly not sure how either is going to be remembered in the end, but I've pretty much been greatly enjoying both even through their peaks and valleys.