View Single Post
Old 2004-11-11, 14:44   Link #58
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Carbon Monoxide emissions from automobiles have zero effect on the concentration of ozone within the stratosphere. While it does, some would claim, have an effect on global warming, it will only harm you in high concentrations over prolonged periods of exposure. So unless you re-route your car's exhaust into the cabin portion of your car, it's not about to hurt you anytime soon. Also, I hate to inform you but no can of hairspray, paint or any other product that comes in such a can has had CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) in it since 1989. CFCs have been banned in all European, Asian, North and South American countries on top of many countless other countries (there's been a universal ban of CFCs in all developed countries since 1990). By the end of this decade developing countries will also no longer create or use any products containing them.

Given that it takes approximately 100 years for existing CFCs to breakdown but only ~35 years for them to diffuse into the stratosphere, all current ozone depletion is the result emissions in and around the '70s when CFC usage was at it's peak. In this case it's your parents that are killing you!

So consider anything that might have a slight adverse effect on the planet suicide but not pumping your lungs full of tar and cancer inducing chemicals that have a +90% chance of killing you? Somehow, I now know you're a smoker.
Nah, I don't even drink alcohol, let alone smoke. Nor do I eat meat, etc, etc, etc. I don't do a lot of things, but that's just a life choice. Same with smoking. It puts you at risk, but hey, so do a lot of things. God knows, by eating in a college cafeteria, I'm probably going to die in a few days. However, the smartie/mint/coffe-crisp ice cream I had yesterday was worth it. Oh, God, was it worth it. I'd have had it again at lunch, but I try not to eat too much fattening stuff since, like, I have no metabolism.

Anyway, yeah, not a smoker. And even if you argued against (probably rightly so) my half formed arguments, there are lots of other things you're doing that are killing you right now. Like computers. Your eyes will slowly give out, you'll go blind, and get hit by a car, THUS, by a certain someone's argument who I can't remember but I THINK that was what I was arguing against, you'll commit suicide, JUST like smoking.