View Single Post
Old 2009-06-17, 20:42   Link #87
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I have to agree. Obama doesn't seem to want or need a Bay of Pigs so early in his term. Moreover, it's quite...arrogant...to suggest that American espionage influence is so strong in Iran that it manages to provoke a near-spontaneous mass reaction in that particular country. Plus, mass protests have never really been the US' preferred weapon of choice. Coup d'etats and strongmen are much easier to orchestrate. :-I

Although I would admit that Western "hawks" are either rejoicing right now for their wet dream coming close to reality (a mass protest in Iran with some potential at toppling the regime) or, like bladeofdarkness' presentation of the Israeli view, show some extreme cynicism by arguing that the radical should still win (or, more cleverly, argue that the radical *will* still win, and only slightly imply their own preferences), just so the enemy would still be around.

As for me, I fear for the safety of those who dare to raise their voice, and hope for their success. Iranians deserve better.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote