View Single Post
Old 2012-11-14, 18:14   Link #3266
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
It's interesting though, how you believe that mankind will obtain full mastery over the foundation of life itself in the near future based on optimism, yet at the same time readily dismisses the possibility of interstellar travel for eternity despite both fields of science are really still in their infancy.
I have already said that faster than light speed can be achieved, but IT IS a planet size road block which IMO will take about 50 years to surpass (and I am being very optimistic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
All it means is that we use our brains for different tasks today than we did 100 or 100000 years ago. We've adapted to different environment. It doesn't mean the overall performance's deteriorated.
I still think everyday average tasks modern man does are easier than those required precivilization. Feeding oneself is for many a matter of going to a restaurant or adding water, punching some buttons and waiting a few minutes, something similar in cases of injury/disease. Riding a horse is more difficult than riding a car (allowing yourself to be taken somewhere by a horse is not the same thing). Getting customers is easier than hunting mastodons (you can retry as many times as required).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Correct. The basic hardware hasn't changed at all (highly malleable, rewireable platform of organic computing). It all depends on how you train it (and since it is quite re-wireable, you can even fix most miswiring -- calcified ideologies, obsolete assertions, etc)
I hope that were true but sadly I think that the reason the number of people that voted republican in the presidential election will decrease (if you remove the swing voters) mostly due to death or lack of motivation. I would be very happy if USA citizens started to ask their elected politicians to do what is needed and not what their lobby interests want them to do but for that your statement would need to be true in the majority of the cases.