View Single Post
Old 2012-11-13, 14:58   Link #1502
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I'm pretty sure this is already a given. she's been called scary by other captains and kubo has teased us with scary looks and strong people backing down all the time. a simple healer, however skilled, would not warrant those reactions. i'm pretty certain that she was once a "demon" like yama-jii and we almost certainly will see it before this is over. can't say it with 100% confidence yet since we haven't been shown it, but the foreshadowing is perfect for it
I wouldn't be surprised if she was ridiculously powerful. Certainly she needs to be sidelined because she is their best healer, but that same power to heal can also be the power to destroy. But I don't think much will come out of that foreshadowing, just like Orihime is basically sidelined constantly.

I don't think it's offensive strength like Ichigo or Kenpachi that you worry about with either of them, and the simplest way to point to that is Unohana's conversation with Ichigo when they were rushing to face Aizen. Orihime can "heal" by rejecting fate/reality. That's terrifying enough if you think about it, it's a power akin to a God. However Unohana heals spiritual power itself. If she can give it, she can take it away. For anyone made of spirit particles, that's pretty terrifying.

That's just speculation on my part though. If I was a commander, I wouldn't let her battle unless it was absolutely needed. She's one of the few healers, but they have plenty of warriors. She's likely not strong enough to beat all of them on her own anyway. I might say different about Orihime since her powers are on a different level, but since her character development has pushed her away from offense as much as possible, that's pretty much her role now too (sitting on the sidelines healing).