View Single Post
Old 2012-12-13, 17:59   Link #1246
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's important to consider that one of the reasons they've maintained this quality is because of the style of shows they're doing. Maintaining this perceived level of quality in an action-packed show would almost certainly take a significantly larger animation budget. If you perceive that they're operating within a certain niche, it's also the case that this "niche" has been very good to them. So it isn't necessarily clear that their "branching out" will be rewarded by the market (even if it would meet the approval of some fans of the other genre).

While I can understand the position Warm Mist is subscribing too that basically "it'd be cool" to see what they could do in vastly different styles and genres, I also find it hard to fault their business strategy on the whole. Even within the styles of shows they do, they seem to find lots of opportunities to let their artists experiment and try various things, and that's probably a lot more prudent then the alternative (even if it's less interesting to those who value that sort of variety over the current sort of consistency).
Should a certain someone had stayed in England and just kept doing what she was already great at? Or should she had challenged herself by taking up a different art form in another country, and possibly expanding her talents in the process?

If KyoAni wants to play it safe, that's their choice. But naturally many people aren't going to applaud that as much as they would a studio that chooses to be truly ambitious and daring.

I also think that if any animation studio should have the financial flexibility to try something unconventional, it's KyoAni. Given its number of hit successes, it's hard to imagine that it couldn't afford a big risk or two.