View Single Post
Old 2011-01-17, 00:10   Link #211
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I do believe that bringing this thread back up to speed is appropriate in light of the latest chapter's info.

So: Big Mom (aka Charlotte Ling-Ling). New guardian of Merman Island. True, we still don't know much about her yet, but what little info is available is still pretty interesting nonetheless. We know that the empress demands payment for her services, unlike her predecessor, Whitebeard. However, rather than accepting monetary payment for her services, she instead opted to have her own private candy factory built instead! For what purpose did she choose to fill Whitebeard's shoes? Was it strictly for business, as the starfish Pappag suggested, or was it for more personal reasons? Perhaps the current storyline may shed some light upon that very question......
I'm leaning towards a rather simple answer. 1) There were advantages for her to take in the island (i.e. the candies which may be more than they appear) and 2) fishman island petitioned for her protection. They did say that they need protection afterall and now that WB is gone they would likely have looked for whoever else was willing or convenient.

Shanks doesn't seem to have a system of tributary countries and Kaidou seems like a bad person. Or it may just be that Big mom's territory was the closest one. One could expect that the territories of each Yonkou to be aggregated into certain boundaries rather than random islands here and there. Otherwise they won't be able to defend them.
Hisoka?? is offline   Reply With Quote