View Single Post
Old 2012-04-07, 07:18   Link #329
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It was and still isn't a battle manga. Yes, it has fight scenes, and arcs about fight scenes....but this isn't Bleach or DBZ or anything like that. None of the fights are drawn out for months at a time, and a good number of them are more verbal than slugfest. Not that they're any less intense though.

Medaka (manga) shows a clear and dramatic shift in gears once Kumagawa appears, and while no one really knows if it was planned to work like this, what I do know is that prior to that character showing up Medaka Box was ranking so badly that rumors were flying it would get cancelled. Personally I don't think the story was supposed to work out the way it did. Something tells me that the possibility of cancellation created the means to allow Nisio to go a little crazy and here we are now with a fairly successful manga and new anime.

It wouldn't be the first time a story was changed for the sake of ratings. On the other hand it could be exactly as you say and this whole thing was planned exactly as we see it.....it just needed to find an audience that would appreciate it.
Well, I agree that Medaka Box shouldn't be described as a battle/fighting series; it'd probably be more accurate to say that the shift is into a more dramatic one. As far as the existence of Kumagawa's character specifically, though, that was foreshadowed as early as the 20th chapter. So I do think that all the basic building blocks in Nishio's mind for Medaka Box's narrative development were all well-established from the beginning.

That's not to say that the story doesn't change based on external conditions; the timing incidence of the most recent manga arc with the anime can attest to that. But I do think it is presumptuous of readers to assume that any unexpected twist in the story is a result of external conditions being forced onto Nishio as the writer. He has got a lot more finesse than to have ever planned to write a generic romantic/school comedy in the first place.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote