View Single Post
Old 2012-04-05, 05:38   Link #3790
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I think your assessment is still shaky. Yoshino did not direct Guilty Crown either. A screenwriter does not automatically translate into plot-maker, or hold the final say on how an ending should turn out.

Its debatable whether or not Yoshino suggested to Kawamori in regards to the ending of the original Frontier series, but it doesn't change the fact that Kawamori was the one who made the final decision. Furthermore, from a marketing point of view, you cannot deny it was fucking brilliant.

Likewise, it was Tetsuro Araki who directed Guilty Crown. And this is the guy who did Galaxy Angels of all things...

Though from a marketing point of view, it was not-so-brilliant. I was originally interested in the prequel VN. NOT ANYMORE!
Sadly, a nice quote from Wikipedia finalizes my thoughts:

Quote:
Guilty Crown is being directed by Tetsuro Araki with the series' script's supervision being handled by Hiroyuki Yoshino and assisted by Ichirō Ōkouchi.
It was the fact that Yoshino was so involved in this project that he was leveled up to chief in the script department. You could always read my review for this anime to know how horrible I thought the script was anyway.

I do agree that he is one of the many to blame. I know there are a lot more. I'm aware.

However, going into this anime, knowing he'd be a part of it, and seeing his large role in it, I had no expectations. I couldn't even experience interest in it beyond the level of art design and mecha, and the fanservice. So... my expectation was already low.

Quote:
Japan used to have their own version of Spiderman back in the 70s. Basically it was a guy in the (yes, Marvel) spider suit, a motorcycle and a giant robot killing aliens from outer space.

It was... quite er... humorous.
I know you get my actual meaning though. Why can't the U.S. stick solely to its own animation? I don't see many of our cartoons being taken to Japan and dubbed. As a matter of fact, I rarely see anything but international movies being dubbed.

The fact is, lately they've gotten lazy with doing dubs, and more anime comes out sounding a lot like DBZ. It's sad, really; because there are some dubs that do the anime justice. One in particular was Rurouni Kenshin (not the OVA or movie but the series). Although, certain classics like Yu-Gi-Oh, weren't that badly dubbed, just the script was poor. But... don't get me started on Sailor Moon. Yu Yu Hakusho had to be the only other one I found as a good dub with some script errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Yoshino did write Frontier. In fact he wrote all the episodes of Frontier, unlike Guilty Crown (though he wrote enough of Guilty Crown that he probably deserves a fair bit of the blame for how awful it got). He also wrote all but one of the episodes of Mai-HiME, which is another one of my favorite anime series. The fact that he was involved in writing Guilty Crown does not change those facts. He may deserve some of the blame for Guilty Crown being as bad as it was, but I think he also deserves credit for some of the other series he worked on being as good as they were.
I never said I disliked all of his series. But quite a few that he had involvement in have disappointed me. And so, I have no expectations of him.

I'm not saying that I won't at least follow to see if one day my expectations are met - he does show potential and a lot of his series have certain key points that I find interesting enough to watch - but until then, my impression remains the same. Plus, he's like certain other people out there that only squeezes out what he thinks the audience will buy. I think it speaks well, considering GC's Inori (whom was way too beautiful).