View Single Post
Old 2013-05-03, 14:33   Link #127
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
A lot of people just seem to use "moe" interchangeably with cute or adorable. This is not correct. "Moe" is supposed to evoke the desire to protect and shelter in a (usually) male viewer/reader.
Everytime I see this I just drop the conversation. It's because of retarded general consensus about the word that makes everything hard to swallow.

Even my dearest cousin just got the wrong notion thanks to this revolving bullshit. Initial thoughts about it is that if a character is cute/ditz then that = moe. We had this conversation quite a few times and I tried to explain it to her how absurdly vast and vague this word's "definition" is and that it's pointless to make any association with it. I just couldn't slap her as that would be going too far.

Seriously, she even asked her boyfriend's sister who's japanese citizen. I'd say it was 80% agreeable to me but still, the notion of how she said what moe is and how she associates it to anime, is still in a negative fashion.

A couple situations she says something is moe.

Designs with big eyes = moe
helpless/clumsy/ditz character = moe
cutesy voice = moe

It's bad enough that the definition of moe was so one sided, she even caught the dreaded slur called "moeblob". Believe it or not, at some point she even considers that the recent Rurouni Kenshin anime was moeblob in design just because the character design approach was different. I.... give up...

I could give my definition of moe but we'll never see eye to eye with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Umm....you can't really classify "moe anime" seeing as moe is how one feels towards a character...

It varies from person to person. It is mistaken to even try to introduce something to someone and say this is moe
I really agree with this. I really believe that moe comes from your own preferences. But dammit, I can't help but wish the word be tabooed because how it's muddied and lost in translation. Most of the time it's brought up it is used as a means to demean a shows worth.