View Single Post
Old 2009-09-06, 13:40   Link #2054
Kitsu
The unlucky one

My take on the actual discussion

Quote:
IN EP1, it's mentioned Battler had a crush on Shannon when he was younger.
And where was it implied that this cursh was kinda returned? On the other hand it was implied that Shannon didn't act all nice with the cousins and really improper for a servant.
And to be honest...the Shannon did the killing thing seems reasonable but the promise thing feels really fishy. Especially the "marriage promise" which girl who is still a bit right in the head would take such a promise of a 12 year old after six years not seeing him at all serious? And even start killing for it (cause because of the broken promise (the sin) people die, you cannot tell me that george convinced her doing it for their relationship if it is about Battler's and Shannon's broken marriage promise ) and as if killing his family would make him remember and even marry her. I mean
Spoiler for Higurashi kai:

And maybe I missed it or something were was it actually said that Beatrice loves Battler? I will be ashamed for missing that... Also I think we are to much focusing on romatic love, after all this is a story which main characters are a family. and even between none blood-related characters love was shown. Best examples are Shannon/Kanon, Kumasawa/Shannon (it was said that Kumasawa was like a mother for all servants) and the friendship love Shannon/Jessica (Jessica describes Shannon as her oldest friend etc).
Also why even show us all those totally nice George/shannon secnese be it in the past or the magic scenes if Beatrice wants Battler to remember their love. i mean it's like trying to sell somethign but praising the other merchants stuff instead of your own (okay that example is a bit badly choosen)
Furthermore doesn't it feel odd that Shannon in her POV never thinks about Battler at all? Not even in the past events (her date with George, the talks with Jessica about love (and why even talk about hwo wonderful George is with her if she loves Battler etc.) if she loves him so dearly? And why even get close to George? That doesn't make sense to me...

Again about that promise thing...if there was ever a promise wouldn't it be something more like "I'll get you off this boring island" ? That sounds more like Battler to me and more like somthing Shannon would cling to. Waiting for him to get her of the island not doing it herself. (I still think the promise thing is fishy but oh well)

I am still pretty found of the idea that Beatrice is still just metaphorically and represents someone who kills out of love. (sounds hypocritical ^^; And Eva-Beato represents someone who kills for the inheritance/gold or for becoming the head.
Also @Kaiba
I think your explanation for motives and how the murders are done are really well to be frank really unrealistic and at times even hypocritical. Most people seem just to be killed to follow the epitaph in ep 5. Which is strange cause you explained that Shannon just says "Fuck it" if she really thinks that then why follow the epitaph anyway? In ep 3...yeah george just kill all the servants to cover up one or two deaths and then play innocent and do nothing anymore. Cause the killings of 6 people is so much more decent and makes people search for the culprit much lesser than if you only kill 2 persons especially since it's rather well known that George loves Shannon...that would make him really supicious, I mean everyone kills her/his loved ones, George you are a genius!
The whole the family kills each other out o paranoia seems unlikeable, you guys know why? If I kill someone out of paranoia I don't start searching for a stake then comeback and stake that person (or the dead body) (though I think this might have happened in Ep 3 but I kinda don't buy it)
In Ep 1 ...Kanon can't be killed with a trap as you say cause it was stated in red that he wasn't. Shkanon? Wouldn't make much sense in your theory cause why would she even do that? 'cept
"The person dead in the shed at the first twilight was actually Kanon, Shannon killed him and then dressed up as him for the rest of the episode. This way she could fake her death without having Nanjo as an accomplice and trick Hideyoshi at the same time." Seems still unlikely but oh well.

Also your "Genji and George wanted the gold all by themselves", well excuse me but loyal Genji and already rich George who doesn't have an financial problems would have done that?
and about the rest of Ep 5
Spoiler for Ep 5: