View Single Post
Old 2010-11-10, 08:20   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Wow... as visually stunning as ever, I see. It's true that this looks an awfully lot like Ghibli's works, especially the chara design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
I'm honestly worried, here. I came to love Shinkai due to the theme of his movies. He was a master at directing those touching love stories. And then out of the blue comes something which reminds me a bit too much of the stuff Ghibli has been pulling off for years and years. And masterfully, too.

I'm afraid that, once I finally get to watch this, I'll be unable to watch it without drawing parallels left and right with Miyazaki's stuff, in case they do end up being similar. I don't quite believe Shinkai will be able to make something better, which is basically what's bothering me.
I, for one, am glad he's trying out something new (for him, at least). I love all of his movies but I was starting to get a bit bored of the "long distance relationship" theme he always uses. He's already brilliantly explored this theme, it's time to move on to something else, at least for a while. Change is good.

The girl is seaching for a boy, so it sounds like it might be a love story after all, just a very different one from what Shinkai has gotten us used to.