View Single Post
Old 2010-08-27, 16:34   Link #72
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandoric View Post
In practice there's little-to-no taking time to get things right, and we both know it.

Now, there's certainly advantages to TL and edit giving their work a second pass, but each of these can happen while the next person is busy doing their thing without stopping a 30-hour or even necessarily an 18-hour release. No one's arguing against this; as a translator I've only worked on two projects that didn't want it, and both were for entirely unrelated ("just go to bed you'll be late for work dammit!") reasons.

Otherwise, if there are serious translation/writing problems for the average show after two afternoons of work, your translator or editor is probably not all that good and should consider spending their time studying instead. In this case either there's three or four other groups that are probably better anyway, or worse you're the only one and by not dropping you're discouraging someone competent from picking it up.

The most common mistakes groups make, imo, are slavish literalism and too many cooks spoiling the broth. Not having a tight but flexible deadline for yourself invites both.
Well, as an old fansubber, I must say giving your work a 2nd glance you can definitely avoid stupid mistakes. Our common practice is to watch a show at least twice through after all the timing and editing is complete. Of course our group is an enigma, in that everyone is still around that was around when we started back in 1992. And we take time to get things right. If I'm not satisfied we'll give it a third glance(or at least I will).

Our process hasn't really changed for a while. Translator gets the script to my pre-timing editor, she sends me the work and I time, edit and typeset it. After that I tend to watch it through at normal speed writing down what I see on my own and fixing the timing errors, typesetting problems, and obvious grammar and spelling errors. Later on, when we gather up the group(fresh sets of eyes), we all watch it again and they write down everything they see and I go back and fix it.

We do have a deadline usually, from the time I get the script during the week to that Saturday night. I usually finish all my work in one day. Takes me about 4-8 hours finish a show once I time it.

But every group is different and has their own way of doing things.