View Single Post
Old 2012-10-07, 00:20   Link #70
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, the first episode does have a certain haphazardness to it, but for me that's much of what made the comedy so effective.

Anime sometimes has a tendency to kind of overly reinforce its comedy moments by reeeallly dragging them out, and/or basically having characters explain the joke (which, as The Joker himself knows, ruins the joke! ).

Here the comedy is effective precisely because its fast, snappy, quick, and not totally predictable.

With this in mind, one thing I like is how Rin doesn't have some "female character shield" around her. She can get comically victimized too. And she seems like a bit of a goofball herself, really (i.e. it's not just the guys acting like goofballs). A tsundere goofball, equal parts KugRie and Yui Hirasawa, now that's something.

And anyway, I never found this episode that confusing. This popular guy who's genuinely a great guy to his friends comes home after a vain attempt to get a job, and they're naturally excited that their good buddy is back. Then you get a bunch of friends horsing around like friends of this age tend to do, and I just think that it all flows pretty well.

Now, I'm not sure if anything introduced in this episode is supposed to mean more than what I'm getting here, but even if so the anime has time to make that clear. For now, I'm satisfied just taking it as a bunch of guys (and one girl who is the sister of one of those guys) having a blast together.

And guys, there's much weirder things than a bunch of guys deciding to start up a baseball team and/or game. This sort of random activity choice is actually pretty common in real life, in my experience.