View Single Post
Old 2012-03-05, 16:57   Link #170
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
So if Monogatari was Nisio's screw around work what is this ?
Medaka Box is Nishio's dismantling of the tropes of Shounen (specifically Jump) work. Shounen Jump is mainstream; Nishio Ishin is mainstream; so all in all I think what you can expect is an amazing clusterfuck of brilliance rather than any sort of high literature.

Leave any preconceptions and your suspension of disbelief at the door. Particularly during the early part of the series, you're in for a violent shock if you get too comfortable. The one piece of advice I would give people is not to make any sort of presumptions about what this series is "supposed" to be.

(If you ask me, beyond any genre conventions, the central theme being explored by Medaka Box is a question of humanity and success. What is a perfect human? What does it mean to win? Why are people differentiated from each other and how can we accept our arbitrary destinies? Medaka Box, for its own part, does have its share of screwing around in empty satire and posturing, sophistic talk. However, in the end I think it also has a lot of genuinely meaningful things to say along the lines of the above questions.)

I like Aki Toyosaki's voice for Medaka, but do think it could be improved. She's not nearly as authoritative-sounding as she could be if her voice can be drowned out by music during a big speech. Honestly though, I'm pretty excited to have such a big name as Aki Toyosaki who's also typically typecasted for cute characters doing Medaka's voice. I think you can tell that she is challenging herself and also that she herself has great affection for the character. Those are the ingredients if you ask me for a genuinely impressive performance and likeable character.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote