View Single Post
Old 2012-10-31, 07:53   Link #1418
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
*snip*

As I've highlighted before, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Criminal Investigation Department's logo is adapted from the North American symbol for the medical profession. We are, in essence, being invited to ask: "What if an individual's potential for 'crime' can be detected in a way similar to how we diagnose disease?"

*snip*
That is an interesting perspective, and one that I hadn't considered. Then I went back, looked at their logo, and facepalmed at how I missed that.

When viewed in light of your POV - crime as a disease - the show starts to make a lot more sense.

Regards Sibyl, when viewed in the Crime as a Contagious Disease perspective, it then becomes a powerful and crucial tool to ensure that society is safe. I personally think that it has good uses, but as Masaoka pointed out, part of the problem young people have today is that they're not good on dealing with stress on their own because they're reliant on the system.

And then of course there's the usual cyberpunk genre convention where if something like Sibyl exists, sooner or later it's gonna end up tampered, sabotaged, or becomes self-aware and goes rampant.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote