View Single Post
Old 2012-04-09, 22:23   Link #24
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Thank you everyone for your help. My budget is about $100, around $110 is just fine. I'd draw the line at $120 for price of the hardware and shipping combined. I don't want to go up to there or higher. I don't know the benefits of a modular PSU, btw.

So, I may have a motherboard problem (just saying it is possible). First, I have to make sure my PSU is actually dead or not. I should go to a computer shop and have them see if my PSU is dead or not. I just hope they don't charge much for such a simple thing. I can only get that service at an independently owned computer shop, huh? Not at a Staples, by any chance? I just don't know any computer shops nearby. I'll look around my area for one. The closest one is probably 20 minutes away, maybe even 30 minutes away.

Also, I think I know what killed the PSU. I have a speaker set that is USB powered. So I hit the shut down icon on my computer and it started to shut down, I turned off the monitor, and then I unplugged the USB powered speaker. I didn't really pay attention, so I don't know if the computer just quit right then. I got up and walked away and when I went to the computer the next day, it wouldn't start. I think the PSU died and shut off the computer before it fully shut down.

Someone at another board recommended this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020

Would that be a good buy? Good quality and reliability and has everything I need (after posting this I'll go see how it compares to the dead PSU for connectors and 12V rails). I can read some of the reviews, too, but should I bother with a PSU with 4 out of 5 for a rating (rated 205 times) or would it be best to only buy a PSU with a 5 out of 5 rating and many reviews (200+ reviews)? Is that just being over concerned with a small thing? XD