View Single Post
Old 2012-01-07, 17:10   Link #4034
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Cana has spent years focusing on Gildarts, wanting to prove to herself that she is his daughter. Wanting to show him that she is his daughter. A child wanting a father's approval is a trope as old as time. that thinking consumed her, until all she could see was that, in order to live up to how great he was, she had to become S class like him.

I don't like perfect characters too much, so introducing this flaw into her character makes her more human, to me. And in the end, she still realized what she had done, and that her pursuit of her goal had blinded her to what was really important. that scene with her crying, and refocusing her goal, touched me far more than if she had never put Lucy to sleep and played the good little fairy tail mage.

Regardless of what you think of her, this course of action put her more firmly in the spotlight than if she was just relegated to the background as a normal mage.

What about Wendy? Did all the good things, still got her ass kicked, and hasn't done much since. Would you really want Cana to be like Wendy?
I think this went a bit beyond introducing a flaw. If this was the best they could think of to give Cana some depth then it's a pretty sad result. Any time a character has gotten some development it's usually been handled pretty well. It's not like there aren't a million different backgrounds or motivations they could have given Cana. Nothing wrong with being a flawed character or wanting to give her depth, but doesn't mean it should shelter her from criticism.

Asking if I wanted Cana to be like Wendy, would kind of be insulting Wendy . A kid who has only started to develop and tap into her ability and is slowly getting there compared to someone who has been in the guild for a seriously long time. I have no doubt Wendy will continue to develop and take a stronger position in the series as time goes on. And don't think she'll have to be a traitor to do it.