View Single Post
Old 2010-12-18, 17:52   Link #102
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I hate to say this because you're arguing pretty well, but I'm still not convinced.

TV tropes describes the word "tsundere" as a merger of "aloof or irritable" and lovestruck. Kuudere, on the other hand, is a merger of cool and lovestruck. Not cold, just cool.

Does Sakaki have a "cold" exterior? No, people just assign her a "cool" image. Same with Mai Kawasumi from Kanon. (Although in that case, the image is only part cool - it's also "scary loner girl".)

And the idea that "kuu" means "cool" isn't just something I came up with: take a look at how this poster defines the difference between "kuudere" and the little used term "dandere", for instance. The "cool" factor is front and center:
http://bangin.wordpress.com/2008/04/...%83%ACdandere/

I consider any behaviour that could qualify as "abrasive" tsun, so to me intentionally acting cold to someone is a kind of tsun, and characters that do this are better described as a tsundere or tsundere-kuudere hybrid, not pure kuudere.

The defrosting ice queen/tsundere distinction you make is useful, the issue is that defrosting ice queen is a TVtropes term, not anime fan slang. Many anime fans would use tsundere simply because they don't know or don't care about the other term.
Kuudere was originally under Tsundere, but as I mentioned it seem to have branched out into it's own term.

Now a days if you ask for examples of Tsundere from average anime watcher, you get girls like Rin (fate/stay), Asuka (EVA), Naru(Love Hina) and Kallen(Code Geass), the more aggressive ones.

I suppose if you want to you can group Kuudere under the banner of Tsundere as a subtype, but that kind of leaves the "aggressive" version with no specific name. :x

As for Sakaki, hers is more of a case of mistaken identity. XD
I group her under Dandere, who due to her appearance (her height) and unfortunate coincidences ended up getting a "cool girl" image perceived by the rest of the cast.
But we the audience know better right?

I personally don't mind using non-anime slang, for instance girls like Rei(EVA) and Yuki(Haruhi) don't really fit into Kuudere nor Dandere IMO - there is no facade and the dere-dere side is relatively weak nor are they shy.
Ice queen maybe, but they aren't really that cold ... just stoic.
Emotionless Girl is my pick - they are not really completely emotionless, it's just that their emotional side are "weak" (in the case of Rei and Yuki if you have watched those show I think you will know why).

So many opinions and ways to argue. XD
The definition of Tsundere is particularity "divding", hence confusing, which was why I suggested standardizing on terms in the discussion.

This is the problem with language slang I suppose, unlike natural languages themselves or "artificial" computer languages, there is no standardizing authority like dictionaries or standard organisations to properly define things.

I wonder at times what the Japanese (who came up with these terms) think of the terms themselves.
I got a feeling they are just a divided.

Last edited by Salt; 2010-12-18 at 18:06.
Salt is offline   Reply With Quote