View Single Post
Old 2012-06-18, 22:34   Link #221
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Except I don't really get what you mean by "psychotic." Most people couldn't kill their own wife and daughter. He did. Is he psychotic for doing so? Most couldn't kill their adopted mother. He did, to prevent a zombie apocalypse. Is he psychotic for doing so?

Maybe it's just for me, but judging him for that may not be psychotic, but it's certainly sanctimonious.
I mean it with the literal definition. Just apathetically disregarding lives just to save numbers. This isn;t the only time he's done something like this. Even the apartment bombing. yeah he got the families out first, but what are they going to do now?

And again, there is a difference between saving one group over another vs saving one group and actively slaughtering the other.

Maybe psychotic isn't the right word. Heartless may be a better description, but he is definitely not right in the head.

I just do not like the writing for his character. He's just too one dimensional . He thinks too simply and like i said, in black and white. It's just hard to take him seriously with his unrealistic attitude. I feel that they were trying to make him a character that was hellbent on completing the mission but they just fell flat with him.

Roberta from black lagoon was even more one dimensional but at least they succeeded in making her badass. The Boss from Metal gear solid also prioritized the mission over everything. But she wasn't a flat character in any sense.

Maybe something will happen in the final episode but as it stands, to me, Emiya is just an unlikeable character with no substance.

EDIT: i don't know, I'm not trying to upset anyone or say they are wrong for thinking Emiya is likeable or deep. I'm just saying what i think. Also, adaptations from books leave aot of inner dialogue out and the thoughts of characters. I'm thinking maybe something got lost in the conversion.

Last edited by Double_Edge; 2012-06-18 at 22:46.
Double_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote