View Single Post
Old 2009-05-21, 20:41   Link #1074
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylf View Post
Spoiler for Whole story plot stuff:
Hmm... I think that's quite a wrong approach regarding the girls. First of all, the other girls don't live with him; so, they cannot know about things like him wanting to go to school. Anyway, disregarding that, Hina and Ayumu have tried to be as helpful to Hayate as much as they can Both of them, particularly Hina, have helped him many times and not necessarily with romantic intentions (e.g. Hinagiku, in one of the latest chapters, even wondered to herself if she wanted to be loved by Hayate, or if she wanted to help him.) So, saying some girls care about him and that others don't means you should probably reread the manga.

Regarding Athena manipulating Hayate, I believe that's another terrible approach to the characters. When Athena found Hayate, he was devastated after finding himself being constantly betrayed by his own parents. It cannot be denied that Hayate's appearance in the Royal Garden was a good thing for her, since it seems she was alone before that. However, when she realised Hayate really wanted to see his parents she allowed him to return. Obviously, originally, she was reluctant on allowing him to, but she explained her reason - she didn't want him to be hurt by his parents again. The fight they had was due to a misunderstanding in which both of them were equally at fault.

As for the first point, although an ending in which Hayate ends up as Nagi's butler and lives with her and Maria as a family can be regarded as a good end, depending on how one sees it, it can also be regarded as a failure. Despite him being a good butler, and caring a lot about Nagi, Hayate has mentioned he has dreams of his own. There's a life he wants to build by himself. He became Nagi's butler in order to pay the huge debt of his parents. Working for Nagi is basically living to pay that debt. I think Mikado told him that much once (I'm not sure if he did that in the first season of the anime, or in the manga), and that's quite true.

I think there are different possible ways in which this manga can end, that can be considered good ends, and that don't require him to end up as Nagi's butler, and even less as her romantic interest.

Personally, I like all the girls in this manga (although, I won't deny I like some girls more than others). Therefore, I hope the way in which this manga ends is written in a way in which it wraps properly the story - in terms of themes and romances. I wouldn't want Hata to pic one particular ending just to follow a common pattern in most stories. I think this manga has been developed quite properly so far; so, I'm hoping for the best.

P.S.: I really dislike writing blocks of text.