Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-17, 10:34   Link #19702
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Come to think of it, you would be right if you are talking about a sole type of industry - primary, secondary and tertiary industry; all the countries you have mentioned got most of their GDP from tertiary industries and HVA (high-value-added) secondary industries, so technically speaking, if we are to talk about manpower affecting the contribution to economy in the tertiary industry, these similarities could serve as a thorn in the flesh to the GDP.

What I meant was that Singapore's HVA secondary industry is too weak and small to fall back on, despite it contributing greatly to the number of jobs here. The root of the problem is land size - unlike Germany, we don't have the land to let Heckler and Koch test their toys or Lufthansa to build those gigantic overhauling/assembly hangars without digging underground.
You need more Lebensraum, obviously! Here, I'll let you have these shiny Leopard 2 tanks for a special price.

Personally, I think immigration can be good, and Singapore might be one of the few countries that is able to manage it. Other countries (basically all Western/Central European countries) have failed miserably.
The question is: is growth really that important? Countries like Japan are stagnating if you look at their GDP, but the really important thing is standard of living, which does not necessarily decrease, because of a shrinking population.
Some thoughts I find very interesting:
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...-all-righ.aspx

I think it's better to accept GDP stagnation/decrease, than to encourage ethnic conflicts by a too liberal take on immigration.