Thread: Nintendo Wii
View Single Post
Old 2006-07-07, 19:14   Link #27
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
the Wii still doesn't support dvd playback
Did they take out that feature? I thought the Wii had standard DVD support, it just can't play Blue-Ray or HDTV discs (and lets be honest, I'd rather have a standalone player for high quality DVD playback, not something that's essentially supposed to be an "extra" on the gaming console).

I'm not going to argue that the Wii isn't really "next-gen", I think Nintendo might even be on record saying it's actually a "current-gen" system. But then, what's the point in releasing a system designed for super HDTV and stuff when most people in your target market don't yet own the sort of hardware you're designing the system for? Plus, in designing a system that doesn't have expensive extras, they can keep the costs down. The cost of a PS3 is really quite mind boggling for what most parents consider a game system, no matter what sort of technical specs it might have.

Ultimatly, the GCN failed to have any real online support because it's not built into the system. As an optional feature, most software developers have to go with the idea that most people will not buy the $40-$50 add on, and design the game around that premis. Something that has built in online features, it's much easier for developers to decide to use it since every unit will have it standard, it's not something the end user has to go out and purchase in addition to the system itself.