View Single Post
Old 2007-04-27, 07:35   Link #1665
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhx View Post
I just watched the first episode and I have to say... what exactly is this?

I am pretty tolerant of anime genre's and consider myself to be open to new concepts and ideas. However, this show just makes my head hurt. First of all 10 minutes of talking about food, the way to eat food, and how they setup food was probably the biggest waste of my time EVER.

To be honest the only saving grace for this anime is the character's drawing style, which imo is pretty cute. I think I only laughed once and that was when she was talking about how she knocked out some foreign guy and she related it to street fighter. This anime is probably the biggest chick anime I have ever seen. If you honestly like watching anime where ditzy girls talk about pointless subjects, then all the more power to you. However, I can barely stand that IRL, much less 20ish minutes of that in anime form. I mean theres no plot at all, it's just one random thought to the next. I think I saw them go from food -> glasses -> colds in the matter of a few minutes.

I have no idea how this anime even deserves its own section. I have seen many great anime's come and go (and some awesome ones) that did not have it's own section. I guess theres always a market for things like this; so I have a feeling I'm gonna get torn into by the fans here (:P), but just honestly what's so interesting about this anime?

/boggle
Just because an anime has no plot means it isn't good?

Lucky Star is Seinen slice-of-life, and slice-of-life anime is much better than plot driven ones. Especially for people like me hu does a dumb security job (MINDEF MP) and spends most of my time sleeping. Basically for older audiences who have a full-time job and can't concentrate on a long plot, and can catch in-between-the-lines jokes.

Spoiler for Episode 1 In-between-the-lines using a.f.k.'s Americanised subs:

I think if u're at least 17 u can catch the above sexual reference. So you think its juz dumb talk abt food eh? Its more sophisticated than meets the eye.

When an anime is slice-of-life, the rewatchability goes up alot as compared to a plot-driven anime or a comedy anime. For plot-driven anime, you can anticipate the plot twists and for comedies, you can anticipate the joke. SoL is good to watch over and over again and almost never fails to amuse.

I personally have watched Lucky Star episode 1 five times, episode 2 seven times and episode 3 four times and counting (episode 3 is the best so far). Looks like I'm gonna watch episode 3 alot of times, should be at least ten.

One of the best SoL anime of all time is Azumanga Daioh. This one I can re-watch a few million times. I thought Lucky Star was going to be inferior to Azumanga Daioh until episode 3.

If you think a series this good doesn't deserve its own section, you are better off not watching anime at all in my opinion.

Last edited by dKiWi; 2007-04-27 at 07:50.
dKiWi is offline   Reply With Quote