View Single Post
Old 2009-08-19, 13:13   Link #2171
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Well, why we have more sheryl fans than Ranka fans? Maybe because Ranka is like a child/litle girl. She's extremely naive and innocent, and perhaps cute. But for most of the otaku(and to even non-otaku) liking a female character means liking her as a possible girlfriend too. In japan even if it seriously depends on the middle and high-schooler community it has a hard base of older anime-viewers. Especially the continuation of old shows like Macross Frontier. Back to the point: Ranka's only appealing as girlfriend to a limited degree and it takes out quite a few chances to make her popular. And another thing: She even has a competition on the "cute loli" type in Klan-klan who's a big breasted woman and a cute loli at once. So she's neither the cutest child nor the most appealing female. She has a saving point though. She's Sheryl's rival. That makes the Sheryl-haters root for her and even may Ranka fans.

In contrast Sheryl has great deal in looks(I think she's at the top 3 at almost anyone's rankings for being the best looking female MF character) further enchanced by her wide variety of clothes, very serious amount of maturity, flirting personarlity and tsundere behaviour. Only two of them are usually a win for an anime character. On the top of it she has a more coherent development of character. And perhaps as Ranka she's too a love interest of the protagonist. And perhaps as I said for Ranka Sheryl can gain fans by being Ranka's rival from the group of Ranka-haters.

In short is like we make fight a light cruiser with a battleship.

P.S: I somehow forgot to mention the singing part that takes a great part again. But I think it favors Sheryl more again. May'N is an acomplished singer so her fans having a higher chance of becoming Sheryl fans just because that simple fact.