View Single Post
Old 2012-11-16, 09:39   Link #39
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I don't see Makishima's lack of a "solid" motive as disappointing. I find the possibility that he's doing just for the kicks to be far more disturbing, far more terrifying. He works on a far higher level even than the serial killer from Se7en, for example, who killed based on some warped sense of justice.

The mistake, in the first place, would be to see Makishima as some idealistic revolutionary. He isn't. Rather, he's deliberately gaming the system for his own sadistic amusement. In a way, Makishima is doing exactly what the Sibyl System is doing. Whereas the Sibyl System matches people to jobs based on their innate apptitude, Makishima matches latent criminals with the means to commit murder.

It would seem, rather, that Makishima aims to be a Superman in the Nietzchean sense, that is, "Morality is for the weak, throw off your shackles and be the maximum of what you are meant to be". And in the world of Psycho-Pass, that means defying society's attempts to curb your psychology, and to indulge in whatever you want, morality be damned.
You're right that killers who kill just for kicks are more terrifying than most, since we can't really relate to their mindset. However, I find criminals with deeper motives more interesting. Personally, I'd like Makishima to be a mix of both: somebody who enjoys causing chaos but also has a clear goal in mind. These are the best kind of villains for me.

As of now, it's very hard to get a good grasp of Makishima's true nature. He is wrapped in mystery and could still be anything (I don't think we can rule out the possibility he is some sort of revolutionary yet, or at the very least an anarchist). I'm withholding judgment on him until we learn more. At any rate, he has definitely been a very interesting villain so far. Fascinating, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Actually Makishima reminds me a bit of Moriaty in the BBC Sherlock, who also happens to be behind all crimes. That being said Moriaty doesn't work for me because he is portrayed a bit too over the top. Makishima is captivating and hence it's easy for me to see why he would be able to seduce someone of an already weakened state or someone with latent criminality to commit murder. Of course I guess that is bad news for the enforcers.
I was trying to remember who he reminded me of yesterday, and that was Moriarty from the new Sherlock series. They are both criminal mastermind who help others accomplish their deeds. That's probably where the similarities end though.