View Single Post
Old 2013-03-21, 14:45   Link #95
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
This topic is making me realize that a lot of anime fans usually discuss the writing unless the audiovisual elements are exceptional for better or worse. We've come to take the audiovisual for granted because we're accustomed to it. We expect it.

The writing in a show can't present itself without the form in the first place but I wager a guess that when people are praising an anime for its strong writing they aren't necessarily downplaying the animation so much as talking about the part of the series that particularly stood out. Legend of the Galactic Heroes, for example, is something I wouldn't cite as the finest example of audiovisual stuff but it has just enough to serve the writing, the focus of all the praise it gets. On the other hand, Redline, from what I understand, is praised primarily for its audiovisual elements and less for its "writing (tentative because I'm subconsciously conflating them. Derp)."
I think that it has more to do with people posting about things they're familiar with. Animation and art direction require specialized tools to analyze, and most people just aren't going to be familiar with them. Usually, you'll just get a few comments about whether the animation looked good or bad, and that's it. Writing, or more accurately, dialogue and plot are much easier to parse so that's mostly what gets discussed. It's a pervasive pattern in English-language anime fandom.